Once configured, segmentation allows you to automatically determine whether a particular customer is (very) important or not, and also shows which clients come closest to your ideal pattern of a perfect business partner. Thanks to segmentation, you can determine the types of customers you are working with and easily determine which ones you should focus on to achieve success.
It is you who knows which customers are most important in your business, therefore in Livespace all the segmentation criteria and their relevance can be freely changed, added, or deleted. Once you configure segmentation, the whole process runs automatically.
In this article we describe:
An example of customer segmentation
Let’s suppose you run a company which provides marketing services. Your company’s best customers have full decision making in Poland. They do not have to consult with their foreign headquarters on the costs. In addition, they have several brands in which they are investing a lot, and you know the board members, which makes it easier to discuss large strategic projects. In such a case your segmentation model may look like this:
The above table is only an example of evaluating customers. To carry out effective segmentation, you should analyse your current customers and determine the features of the most critical ones. To do this, you do not need any special tool – a sheet of paper, a pen, and a moment of patience will suffice. Once you have determined how to distinguish your key customers from those less promising, specify which parameters are the most important for you and your company. After that, you are ready to segment your customers.
Configuring automatic segmentation
1. To set the segmentation process, go to Account settings > Contacts > Segmentation. Depending on your needs, choose segmentation for companies or people.
2. You will see several pre-defined segmentation parameters in the configuration wizard. You can remove them or turn them off, and add your own parameters with Add parameter button.
3. You can assign points to each range. If you want to favour a particular range that seems more important to you, just grant it more points.
4. You can also set the parameter relevance levels to define their influence on the overall assessment of a contact.
5. Press the Skip to segments naming button.
6. Give a name to each segment.
7. According to your preferences, you can change the point range for each segment.
8. To save all the segmentation settings, press Save information and finish the configuration and close the configuration wizard. From now on, your customers will automatically be segmented according to these settings.
You can always return to the segmentation configuration wizard to change the criteria or the relevance level of a particular parameter. After saving it, new changes will automatically affect the segmentation process for all Livespace contacts.
Segmentation details are updated twice a day. However, if you need the latest information regarding a segment of a particular contact, you can force the update by editing and saving a contact form.
After the proper configuration of the company’s segmentation feature, you can quickly identify your key customers. Simply, use the Segmentation filter at the bottom left corner of the Contacts tab, and select a segment of your choice.
The information about the segment to which the given contact has been automatically assigned appears on the contact profile below the company logo.
After you configure the segmentation, determine in what way customers from different segments should be serviced in your company, and what actions your sales team working with them should take. For example, consider how to deal with customers from the segment with the highest sales potential, and what to do with those who have been assigned to the lower segments. You can also adopt a different model of the sales process for your key customers.
You can freely decide which parameters should be used to segment your customers. If you want to evaluate them based on the parameter that is not present on the contact profile, just add a new field to the contact editing form.